In order to offer a complete website performance optimization, we start by analyzing the website and running an initial test using tools like Page Speed Insights by Google or Web Page Test. We then prioritize the problems found or errors, starting with the ones that have the biggest impact on performance and going down to the lower ones.
- What comes next, let’s get technical: Minify and Concat js & CSS files. Optimize images (resizing, compressing, webP versions for browsers that support it). Lazyload images. Implement dynamic serving
- Setting proper cache: Browser cache. Object cache (if applicable). Server-Side cache. CDN.
- Key actions: We reduce the number of external resources used by adding their content into the project (if possible) or by eliminating them completely from the project if it’s not essential. We set up proper expiry headers for the static assets (the inclusion of external resources into our project also helps us here). The use of fonts is always a red flag if they’re not preloaded and don’t have the swap property set. We set a pre-connect tag to essential 3rd party resources.
- TTFB: For projects that are not developed by our team, we usually find more problems that determine a huge Time To First Byte (TTFB), mainly influenced by low-performing code. This is where we go deep into that code and try to optimize all the functions, loops, or queries involved so we reduce the execution time of the entire code in the project.
- Plugins & Libraries: For projects we’ve developed from scratch, we always keep in mind not to use a great amount of libraries or plugins and keep it as simple as possible so we don’t have performance issues.
- Server Consulting: Another important aspect of a website’s performance is the server. Some servers offer Litespeed cache (a great tool for caching), some offer Redis (for data caching), some offer ElasticSearch (for websites that have complex search pages). Some offer dedicated servers, some offer shared VPS. Of course, each feature adds to the total amount you pay for the hosting company but it can significantly impact your website’s performance. We offer our support in choosing the right server for each of our partners so it perfectly fits their needs.